Thursday, July 20, 2006

Dealing with Vexing VR

Here's a conundrum for you.

Tuesday evening I was roused from reverie when the computer made a dinging noise. A confused look briefly passed over my face. This confused look quickly transformed into a knowing but slightly apprehensive look. And this knowing but apprehensive look was, of course, accompanied by some good ole' dignified hand flapping. This was exciting and nerve-wracking, all at the same time.

You see, I've manned the VR desk on Tuesday nights for almost three months now, and during those three months I think I've had two, maybe three chat reference sessions. In between these sessions my skill in using the VR software gets a little rusty. So when the computer dinged, it took me a second to realize what it was, and several more seconds to remember what I was supposed to do.

I quickly read the patron's question (I need financial information for IKEA. Does the library have Hoover's Online or something like it?). I accepted the question and sent a quick message telling the patron that I was going search the databases. I sent another message to the patron telling him that we did not have Hoover's Online, but I was going to look for another similar database. I looked at the database subject guide for business and finance, and I found Mergent FIS, a database which I am somewhat familiar with. I sent a message to the patron telling him that I searched Mergent but it did not have data for IKEA.

Here's where the problem comes in. I was about to tell the patron that I would search for another resource (I see now that Lexis Nexis might possibly have worked, although it may not have had enough financial data for the patron's needs). I was also going to recommend that the patron contact Rhonda, who created the business and finance subject guide. In fact, I was in the middle of typing this when the patron said "Well thanks anyway" and signed off. I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye :(

I was displeased, but I wasn't sure if it was with myself or the patron. Perhaps I should have included an ellipsis in my last message so that he knew more information was coming. Perhaps the patron just wanted a quick answer and didn't want wait while I searched. Perhaps we should subscribe to Hoover's Online? (The following day, at the other library I work for, I discovered that some of Hoover's Online is free, but it didn't have much free information on IKEA).

So what's to do? How do you keep a VR patron from signing off in the middle of a reference interview?

1 comment:

The Tattooed Librarian said...

At least the person was pleasant to you. My first VR experience the person was very rude after I tried to refer them elswhere. The question came in at 10:57pm as the lights were going out in the library and I was going to sign off.

You might take a look at the pre-written scripts that are available. One of them might say something along the lines of "One moment, while I try another source" or something to that effect. That way they have the choice to wait around or sign off.

In the end though, if the patron is impatient and doesn't want to wait, there is little that you can do. Except reassure them that you are looking and the answer doens't come instantly.

I've never used co-browsing either. From what I understand, it might not always work for the patron. But you might fiddle with that in a test run. It might make you feel better if the patron can see that you are looking around for their answer.