Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Compare & Contrast: Library Programs (1)

I am currently enrolled in my last two prerequisites from WSU’s Graduate School of Library and Information Science. The course that I find most stimulating this semester is LIS 7996, Research in Library and Information Science. LIS 7996 marks my first experience with any type of research course. When I began reading the text book for the course, I was very overwhelmed and intimidated. Research terminology can be confusing and extremely hard to understand. Part of the reason for this is due to the word choices made by the author(s) of the book. Even my professor, Dian Walster, admitted the book can be a bit difficult to understand. What I appreciate about Dr. Walster is how patient and hands-on she is in her teaching. Dr. Walster is always open to receive and answer any questions the class has in a clear and concise manner. In the last few weeks, through various readings, I’ve learned how important research is within the Library and Information Science field.

Last year, I had to observe the reference desk at a suburban public library. While observing, I met a student from U of M (Ann Arbor) who was pursuing her Master’s degree from their School of Information. Although I didn’t learn of her specialization, I did learn that she had to take a statistics course. She was irritated in having to take the course and had no intention on applying what she learned to her future career as a librarian. Afterwards, I became interested in learning more about the University of Michigan’s School of Information. Until recently, I had no clue that statistics was related to the research field. Hence, I’ve decided to compare and contrast Wayne State’s Graduate School of Library and Information Science with the University of Michigan’s School of Information. The comparison/contrast isn’t intended to determine which university has the better curriculum. How both schools apply research methods to their courses is one of the purposes for this compare/contrast. Next, another purpose is to take a closer look at what both universities have to offer their students in a growing and competitive profession. Also, it should be noted that the actual comparison/contrast will be featured in my next blog.

No comments: