Monday, May 24, 2010

Beats Me...

As of late, some students have decided to voice their concerns on Wayne State’s listserv made available through the School of Library & Information Science. Sometimes, I wish that I no longer had a subscription to the listserv because of the tone that some of the emails take. Since many job opportunities are posted to the listserv, I decided I would continue to subscribe vs. unsubscribing. However, in keeping my subscription to the listserv there are emails that I receive, and some which I read just to stay in the loop. A description of one of the emails sent and read through Wayne’s listserv will be discussed.

Recently, a student felt it necessary to email all listserv recipients regarding graduate credits. She posed the question of graduate credits counting for 4 credits instead of 3 because in order to receive financial aid as a part-time graduate student one must have 4 credits. The dilemma is that Wayne’s School of Library & Information Science offers only 3 credit hour courses, thus eliminating any options students have in taking a 1 credit hour course.

While I relate to the frustration that this can sometime add to the life of a student, I found this email’s post on the listserv to be out of place. In the past, I ran across this same problem but I realized another option was available. I decided to take a volleyball class, which was considered to be an undergraduate course, to remain eligible to receive financial aid and not be at fault. Besides being crazy about volleyball, I loved the fact that whatever grade I received from that class, it wouldn’t reflect on my graduate transcript. Yes, the course was enjoyable, but it was the 1 credit hour that kept me eligible to receive financial aid as a part-time graduate student. Perhaps, this student is pursuing an MLIS online ONLY degree and that eliminates her from pursing this as an option.

Naturally, an expressive and interesting thread developed from this student’s original post. Some of the responses discussed how there was nothing that could be done about this “problem.” Responding back to those posts, the student was very clear in demanding this issue be fixed because “without students the university wouldn’t run.” She even took a stab at the president of one of the student organizations for the SLIS because his opinion didn’t coincide with what she wanted to hear.

Bottom line: If she was that adamant about seeking change for this issue, why not speak to a Graduate Advisor or the Director of the School? Why post something that obviously bothers or upsets you to a listserv, and demand for change? Beats me…

No comments: