Monday, July 12, 2010

An Ideal Profession

Initially when I became a student in Wayne State’s Library & Information Science program, I wanted to become a Theater Librarian. Partly because my BFA degree is in Theater and it was another way to keep the dream and my passion for it alive. After completing some of my LIS courses, I discovered that I did not want to become a Theatre Librarian after all. Instead, I wanted to become a cataloger…or so I thought. I had a “not so great learning experience” when I took my cataloging course and soon that interest faded.

It wasn’t until fall 2009 that I realized what type of librarian I wanted to become. For a reference observation assignment, I had to observe the reference desk at a library. I chose a public suburban library and I observed both the Adult Services Reference Desk and the Childrens Reference Desk. What I discovered from this observation was that I was actually more groomed to become a Childrens Librarian.

Studying theater was my introduction to performing for all types of people. The different ways I learned to use my voice and my ability to entertain would likely capture the attention of young children at a public library. Special Librarians are known to make more money than Public Librarians. This was somewhat of a turn off, but I’ve learned early on that one should never accept any job position on the basis of money. Money cannot buy happiness, peace of mind, and the joy that comes from doing what a person most loves.

Besides, I am not pursuing a MLIS degree to become rich and famous. My reasoning for wanting to become a librarian aligns more with a description that I recently read in an article. More and more of today’s librarians must be clever interrogators, helping the patron to reframe their question more usefully (Nemko, 2008). Librarianship is an underrated career. Most librarians love helping patrons solve their problems and, in the process, learning new things (Nemko, 2008).

Final Thoughts: The chance to help children establish a desire and a love for both books and reading are reasons why I want to become a librarian. I also believe that librarianship is a very underrated career, as most people associate librarians as little old ladies pushing around book carts, and not as the holders if not keepers of information. What I love about this profession is that my options to use this degree as I see fit are endless…


References

Nemko, M. (2008, December 11). Best careers 2009: Librarian. U.S. News & World Report.
Retrieved from: http://money.usnews.com/money/careers/articles/2008/12/11/best-
careers-2009-librarian.html

No comments: