Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Story removed due to brewing poop storm.

This story has been removed as I wanted to drop this entire poop storm. The officer was spoken to and that's all I hoped would happen. Hopefully she does better next time and I didn't feel a need to drag this out.

The moral of this story was: if a someone claims to be a police officer, make them prove it. Have them show their badge if they're in plain clothing. No one uses our phones, computers, printer, nothing. Police officers are the exception in EMERGENCIES ONLY.

Further, if you run into a similar situation fill out an incident report and give it to your supervisor. If you are on the desk, you must file a complaint through library management and you cannot complain as an individual.

Be safe.

1 comment:

The Tattooed Librarian said...

Why is that the people who should identify themselves and give a good deal of information when they need something answered by the reference desk don't actually do that?

Case A: this officer.
Says "Gimme the phone."
Should say "I am Officer X. This is an emergency and I need to call my precinct (maybe shows a badge). May I quickly use your phone?"

Case B: patron #1.
Says "I need an article."
Should say "I'm an english major doing a project on Jane Eyre. I need some critical essays on the book and the author."

Case C: patron #2 (usually a phone reference call).
Says "I'm an engineering student and I really want to come to the library to study and check out materials. I think I saw a sign, or maybe I had a bookmark about your hours, but I can't remember them. Are you open today? How about tomorrow? What are your hours for the rest of the week?" (and on and on and on)
Should say "What hours are you open?"