Sunday, October 19, 2008

The meat of the semester

This is what I've been waiting for all semester. Today, patron after patron approached me looking for assistance with research papers and assignments. I polished up on some reference interview techniques. One thing I've learned this semester is to take my time when answering reference questions. At first, I felt like the patron wanted the answer as quick as possible and I wasn't very skilled at making sure I knew exactly what they were looking for. As we all know, the patron doesn't always know exactly what they're looking for and it's our job to help guide them through a series of interactions to formulate the best search strategies possible. Another important skill I'm working on is how to draw the line between doing the search for the patron and giving them the skills to do the search on their own.

I'm nearly giddy with all the gratitude that was expressed to me today. One patron told me that she's had a lifelong admiration for the help and knowledge that librarians can provide and that I reinforced that admiration in her mind. Yeah!!!

During my miserable week in bed with the "bubonic plague", I missed reference interactions so much that I found myself hanging around Yahoo! Answers looking to spread the information wealth around (pun intended for the political junkies). It's oddly addictive, sort of like watching Jeopardy and screaming out the answers when there's no one around to hear.

But I'm back now, and it's a good time to be back.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi Alice,

If you don't yet have a copy of Conducting the Reference Interview by Catherine Ross, Kirsti Nilsen, and Patricia Dewdney, you should get one. There is a copy in our Reference Stacks. There is great information about asking open-ended questions. I also have an awesome handout that I can give you. We should probably have the handout at the desk.

When I started at the desk over a year ago, I became addicted to Yahoo Answers, too. I had to stop, though. It was sucking up so much of my time! :) It is a good exercise at the desk, though. Especially when it's not busy. Pick a question, and try to answer it using the library's resources.

As for whether to search for the patron or show them how to search, I usually do a combination of both. I always, always turn the computer screen so that the patron can view what I'm doing. I show them how to search for books using the library's catalog. If the patron is an undergrad and they are researching a typical topic (abortion, gun control, global warming, etc.) I show them CQ Researcher and send them an e-mail of an issue that is relevant to their topic. That's my little freebie, because I think it's such a great resource for undergrads. Then I'll show them an easy-to-use database like Proquest or Academic OneFile, do a search to show them the process and especially show them how to access articles if the full-text isn't available in that database (article linker). At that point, I usually ask if they think they can try some searches on their own, and I send them on their way.

With harder questions I may do a bit more searching, but my general spiel follows that pattern--honed over a year of working the Info Desk. :)